Now hiring residential tattoo artists!
We at Watermelon love hosting guest artists over the course of the year. We have hosted guests from as far as New Zealand, South America and many closer to home in Europe. As an inclusive space we consider every individual, regardless of style, amount of followers, gender, race, sexual orientation etc. We do, however, ask that you have at least 4 years of experience as a tattoo artist in a professional capacity.
As we are currently looking for a residential artist please specify in the form below whether you are looking for a guest spot or residential position.
Note: this is not an apprenticeship opportunity. We are not looking for an apprentice.
We are a very busy and well renowned studio a ten minute walk from the city centre. We pride ourselves on being an inclusive and welcoming space. We can be fully booked for months in advance; due to demand we generally have to turn away more people than we can book in. Our reviews on Google and Facebook say it all… we genuinely care for each of our customers, no matter whether it is their first tattoo or if they are returning.
As a family run studio we want everyone to feel at home when they walk through our doors- we regard Watermelon as an extension of our home.
Our working hours are dictated by Edinburgh Council: 10am to 6pm, though if you start a tattoo before 6pm you are permitted to finish it within a reasonable time. We are open from Monday to Saturday.
About working with us
- A manager dedicated to promoting your work, making and looking after your appointments, liaising with you for new enquiries.
- We summarise each payment made for you i.e. paypal deposit, cash, card, tips etc on an excel spreadsheet which you can review and keep for your records at the end of the day/ week or guest spot. You can be paid in cash or paypal/ bank transfer.
- Although we expect you to always keep your station organised and sanitised, our staff keep the whole studio clean and tidy throughout the working day.
- Your license, publicity, online promotions, shop rent, hazardous waste disposal, recycling, electricity/ heating/ water, consumables, maintenance, PAT testing, third party liability, risk assessments, health and safety compliances, up to date information on your rights as a self employed contractor.
Residential artists will receive a contract detailing our agreement in your capacity as a self employed contractor.
We stock and provide aftercare products (vegan included) and step by step instructions.
What we expect from you
- Minimum of four years experience of tattooing in a professional capacity.
- Willing to do walk in appointments, no matter how small or cliché they may seem to you.
- A discreet and broad minded approach to dealing with enquiries and customers.
- A sound work ethic.
Residential artists– this is a full time position; whilst each person has their own pace we do expect you to work throughout and until the end of the day (breaks are made between appointments with an hour for lunch). Ultimately you are self employed, though we do expect you to stay consistent in your timekeeping and working hours. If you have agreed to work weekends this will form a part of your contract and will be up for review annually.
- A genuine interest in our customers and a positive, upbeat attitude.
- No drama, no gossip.
- A high standard of health and hygiene.
- We perform background checks on all potential self employed contractors.
At Watermelon we aren’t looking just for a new artist, but a new member of our family. We are looking for someone to work with us, not for us. This is a great opportunity for us to learn from you and vice-versa. Essentially we are looking for someone who is energetic, open, honest and professional.
Guest Artist/ Residential Artist Application
(Please do not apply if you are looking for an apprenticeship)